HackMonkey

Demystifying Drupal

Collaborating on KCDUG.org

March 26, 2015 - 4:57pm

The Kansas City Drupal Users Group has decided to build a new site to document our activities as a group. We have been using Meetup.com to organize, which is good for exposure. However it isn't that great for communication in the group. Being a co-organizer for the group, I registered a domain and pointed it to a "coming soon" page on one of my Linodes. I then spoke to Pantheon about hosting. They graciously offered to host the site as a Community Project. Pantheon even allowed us to experiment with their Multidev environment. More on Multidev later.

I have been working independently for the last 9 yrs and haven't had to work in a team since the days of Dreamweaver MX! After searching for guidance on how we might attack the project, and getting little feedback, we decided to just dive in! There were a couple bumps early and a quick reboot, but I think we are now on track. So I felt it was important to document our process, and hopefully even get some feedback on how we might improve our approach!

First Attempt

Unfortunately the night we decided to start the sprint, our primary organizer, Karl, was out of town. Karl has plenty of experience leading teams with our sponsor, VML. The rest of us, not so much. After some discussion on what purpose the site would serve and a little head scratching, we dove in. A Trello board was setup to handle issues and discussion. A Pantheon dev site was created, which provided us with a Git repo to work from. To access the repo on Pantheon, each user needs to have access to the Pantheon backend for the site. While I trust everyone in the group, this did mean that anyone could move items through to live or even delete the site. Luckily we didn't have any issues with everyone being able to clone the site and get a local development copy running. We also got some issues posted for discussion on Trello about functionality, themes, content types and roles. After a little playing we wrapped things up. While we didn't achieve much of substance on the actual site, it was a productive start as a group.

Back on Track

At our next meetup Karl gave us a demonstration on how a forking workflow and Github work together. He also explained how upstream repos would allow individuals to work on Github, but allow code to flow on over to Pantheon for testing and deployment. Shortly there after we were up to speed on how we could use forking, branching and upstream remotes to work together. I am sure this is all quite familiar to many of you reading this. Many in our group were like myself, working independently on sites. I use Git on a regular basis with my projects on Pantheon, but don't have to share the repo with others.

So now we seem to be ready for action. The Trello board is tracking issues, Github has a public repo anyone can pull from, and Pantheon has the production repo.

In coming posts I will explain the actual steps used to get code from a member into the Pantheon repo. I would say the live site, but we aren't that far along just yet. I will also provide updates on how the process, and site is coming together, including any more problems we encounter.